Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Some new books received: Styrbiorn the Strong, Tolkien on Film, and more

Purchased with an Amazon giftcard I received for Christmas, here are some new books that I'm really looking forward to reading and reviewing.


Vikings and E.R. Eddison ... how can this fail to be awesome? Also, how many authors would pay to have their cover blurbed by Tolkien?

I've seen better covers, but contents look great, a mix of positive and negative critical reviews by scholar-types. Good food for thought pre- The Hobbit.

Now that's a cover... you can never go wrong with Harlan Ellison. I bought it used and so didn't "pay the writer." Don't kill me Harlan. 


3 comments:

Tim Mayer said...

Harlan Ellison called and had this to say:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

Adventuresfantastic said...

I've never heard of that particular Eddison novel. I'll have to look for it. Strange Wine is one of Ellison's better collections, not that any of them are bad.

Brian Murphy said...

Tim: I can watch that clip over and over again, and it never ceases to amuse and inspire.

Keith: It's an old book, recently reissued, and was previously hard to find.