Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Iron Maiden!

Phantom of the Opera! Probably in my top 10-15 favorites.

In one week’s time I’ll be making my way over to Great Woods (I still call it that, not the Tweeter or
Xfinity or Comcast Center or whatever the fuck it is currently being called) in Mansfield MA to watch the greatest heavy metal band in history.

I’m talking of course about Iron Maiden.

I’ve had the fortune of seeing Maiden 10 times prior, on the following dates and at the following venues:
  • Jan. 1991: Providence (RI) Civic Center
  • July 1999: Orpheum Theatre, Boston
  • August 2000: Tweeter Center, Mansfield
  • July 2003: Worcester Centrum
  • July 2005: Tweeter Center (on Ozzfest Tour, where they proceeded to destroy Ozzy)
  • Oct. 2006: Agganis Arena, Boston University
  • March 2008: Izod Center, East Rutherford NJ
  • June 2008: Tweeter Center, Mansfield
  • June 2012: Comcast Center, Mansfield
  • July 2017: Xfinity Center, Mansfield


So many good memories in that list above. I saw them the first time in 1991 on the “No Prayer on the Road” tour, and my 17-year-old self was so fanboy-ed out that I bought a tour poster and tour book (which I still have). My mouth was hung open in joy when they hit the stage playing Tailgunner. No one does war songs and history like Maiden.

You’ll notice the major gap from 1992 to 1998, which was when Bruce Dickinson took a break from the band and went solo, and Blaze Bayley stepped in. I realize now I made a mistake by choosing to not attend Maiden shows during Blaze’s tenure, as I really like several songs off the X Factor and Virtual XI (Judgement of Heaven, Sign of the Cross, Futureal, Man on the Edge, The Clansman).

If I had to pick a favorite show from all of the above it would be the ’99 show at the Orpheum Theatre. A small venue, sold out, ridiculously hot, but HUGE energy with Bruce just back in the band. “Transylvania” opened the set and my pulse rate doubled, and they came tearing out like Gods of Old. Metal was back after taking a hiatus during the grunge era. And so was Maiden.

Watching Maiden play the entirety of A Matter of Life and Death in 2006 at the Agganis Arena was amazing. What band with this much history and pressure to play just the hits, cranks through an entire new album? It’s a great album, and I loved it.

Maiden probably sounded their best at the 2008 show in East Rutherford, NJ. Watching them do a full rendition of “Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner” with Bruce in a full cloak, wreathed in fog, was amazing. Pure art, worthy of broadway.

Right now I’ve got a copy of Dickinson’s autobiography What Does this Button Do? waiting to be read. Can’t wait to dig into that.

If anyone reading this is a Maiden fan and hasn’t yet discovered Talking Maiden: The Podcast of the Beast, correct that right now. The co-hosts are not only passionate but put in huge amounts of research and show prep, often breaking down single albums over 4 or more episodes. I’ve learned a ton about Maiden’s early years from this show. Plus they have good taste in beer.

Up the Irons. I’m sure I’ll post a review of the August 1 show here.

5 comments:

The Wasp said...

I was a punk when the NWOBHM appeared and with all the D&D lyrics I held them in contempt. When my tastes widened later I just never got around to them.
When I met my wife, she had just seen them and had been a big fan from the DiAnno days. It's only them I discovered them and just how freakin' awesome they are. I'd say enjoy the show, but's it's clear you will

Brian Murphy said...

No doubt about that, Wasp. And I’m glad you joined Team Maiden:)

5 kejadian aneh di dunia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nesbit said...

I am just now finally getting around to reading your blog. Super jealous you got to see the A Matter of Life and Death tour!
Thanks for the shout out!
Nesbit

Brian Murphy said...

Nesbit! Thanks for dropping by, dude. Keep up the great work on Talking Maiden.