Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Wherein I win swag, and get to ask Steven Pressfield a question

Now this is cool. Author and overall cool guy Scott Oden of Echoes of a Forgotten Age recently held a contest that involved readers posting a writing-related question for historical fiction novelist Steven Pressfield. Oden selected the three best questions to forward to Pressfield and plans to post his answers on his blog.

How awesome is that? This is Steven-freaking Pressfield, author of Gates of Fire, one of the best pieces of historical fiction I've ever read (if you haven't read this tale of the legendary stand of 300 Spartans at Thermopylae, what the hell are you waiting for?) I'm thrilled to say that my question was one of the three selected!

As if the opportunity to ask Pressfield a question wasn't award enough, I'll also be getting a "bag o' swag" containing a copy of Pressfield's non-fiction treatise on writing, The War of Art, as well as another unnamed goodie. I have been meaning to buy The War of Art for quite some time and I'll certainly be reviewing it here.

Thanks Scott, I tip my horsehair-crested Spartan helmet to you.

7 comments:

Pericles said...

THE WAR OF ART is an inspiring book designed to get one's ass moving toward whatever it is you're after. A wonderful piece of writing that's about much more than writing.

Falze said...

bag o' swag? Dude, the FTC's coming after you...

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Good job Brian. I wanted in on that at Oden's blog but you had already asked obe of the best questions and as much as I think I would have amillion quewstions for Pressfield I couldn't think of anything better than what you guys already had. Tell us what else you get besides WAR of ART (great book)

FTC- I just heard about that this morning. Guess I'll have to say when I said my book to you its a gift?

Brian Murphy said...

Regarding the FTC, okay, I somehow totally missed the news, but after a Google search I'm now informed.

When/if I review The Art of War here, I got it for FREE!! Does that cover me?

Barad the Gnome said...

If you had read ALL the posts at http://gnotions.blogspot.com/ you would have known about the FTC guidelines. Just sayin......

;->

BTW, that is cool. I still have your copy of Gates of Fire. I read the first chapter but haven't been able to get back to it. I will, I will, I promise. And even return it. I do have the next adventure ready though. Priorities after all.

Scott Oden said...

Excellent question, Brian! Check out Pressfield's answer :)

It might take a couple of weeks to gather the swag, but the swag . . . it is a-comin'!

Falze said...

I was a bit baffled at the beginning of Gates of Fire, but if that's your problem, press on! Totally worth it.