Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Steve Tompkins, still missed

Today marks the second anniversary of the death of Steve Tompkins.

Every so often I catch myself wondering "what would Steve have thought of X?" With X being, The Hobbit filming finally begun, A Dance with Dragons publication date finally announced, the latest ridiculous essay criticizing REH on the web ... and on and on.

His voluminous and always interesting and enlightening essays are missed. And so is he. As always though you can find a treasure-trove of his work here.

“Behold! we are not bound for ever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory. Farewell!”

--J.R.R. Tolkien

5 comments:

Pericles said...

When it came to writing about REH, he was the very best.

Miguel Martins said...

In my opinion, Steve Tompkins was the greatest REH essayist. It was an honor to be allowed to write on the same blog as him and to walk into his footsteps.

Miguel

Scott said...

Brian,

I still regret that I never got to meet him in person...in an ocean of hacks and Internet trolls, his amazing essays are missed indeed.

Taranaich said...

Every so often I catch myself wondering "what would Steve have thought of X?" With X being, The Hobbit filming finally begun, A Dance with Dragons publication date finally announced, the latest ridiculous essay criticizing REH on the web ... and on and on.

I'm the same. Oh, what he would make of the upcoming Conan film, Solomon Kane, Maggiegate...

Brian Murphy said...

Cheers all, and thanks for the comments. He was one of a kind!