Friday, March 30, 2012

Metal Friday: "Valkyries" by Blind Guardian

In an effort to get more heavy metal on this blog--because why would anyone possibly want less metal--I'm hereby starting a "Metal Friday" feature. This will consist of Youtube clips of some of my favorite songs, sometimes with commentary when the Muse strikes me.

Today, "Valkyries" by Blind Guardian, from the album At the Edge of Time. It's a magnificent lyrical/aural evocation of  those mythical choosers of the slain, bearing the bravest with them on their ride to Valhalla. Turn it up loud:

    


Rain
Red blood keeps pouring down
Come Valkyries, join me on that final ride

Here I lie bleeding
Odin, I await thee

The battle rages on

5 comments:

Falze said...

I like! Keep it up!

The Wasp said...

Great band. I especially love their Silmarillion album, Nightfall in Middle-Earth

Κιμμέριος said...

Heavy Metal and Fantasy Literature go together. Hello from Greece!

Brian Murphy said...

I like! Keep it up!

I will!

Great band. I especially love their Silmarillion album, Nightfall in Middle-Earth

That's my favorite BG album, too. I wrote a pretty lengthy review of it here, if you're interested: http://thesilverkey.blogspot.com/2010/02/blogging-silmarillion-of-blind.html

Heavy Metal and Fantasy Literature go together. Hello from Greece!

Great to hear from Greece! I agree completely that heavy and metal and fantasy lit. go together. One of the things I like about Blind Guardian is their un-ironic, serious approach to Arthuriana and Tolkien.

Andy said...

Hansi has a fantastic voice. It's a strong voice, not flowery like you hear from so many other Euro power metal bands.