Wednesday, January 5, 2022

I, Black Sabbath (with incredible Conan imagery)

Metal Friday has come early this week because I just can't resist sharing this awesome video for Black Sabbath's "I," with the late, great Ronnie James Dio supplying the lyrics. This one is off the little regarded Dehumanizer (1992).

I don't know how much time went into the creation of this video, but Crom, is it awesome. A flood of great, classic Conan comics images, perfectly matched with the lyrical content and timed to the music. Well done, anonymous internet dude.

This might be the most sword-and-sorcery video I've encountered. Check it out, and be prepared to headbang, or behead someone with an axe.



8 comments:

Matthew said...

That was pretty cool.

Narmer said...

That's freakin' cool!

Grymlorde said...

Nice find! I do wish to point out that Dehumanizer is one of the most *underrated* Black Sabbath albums. I used to use it for combat music in my AD&D 2nd Edition games and now I use some of the tracks for my Neverwinter Nights modules.

Brian Murphy said...

Glad you enjoyed it... I saw it posted elsewhere (REH group on Facebook or the like) and had to share.

Grymlorde (love that handle BTW), I probably need to give it an honest listen. I was in a different place in 1992 when it came out, still a metal fan but anticipating Metallica and Megadeth's new release. I love Dio era Sabbath, more than even the classic Ozzy era.

Grymlorde said...

Then as a Dio era Sabbath fan, you absolutely must check it out! While it's no Heaven & Hell (and frankly nothing is on that sublime level), I think it's comparable to the Mob Rules album. Except that there is no real stand-out like Mob Rules itself. Also, this may well be some of Vinny Appice's best drumming.

Glad you like my handle. I took inspiration from the Grim Grey God, both the story as well as the alliteration.

Brian Murphy said...

Will do Grymlorde. My favorite Dio-era Sabbath album in definitely H&H, song is (possibly) Falling Off the Edge of the World: https://thesilverkey.blogspot.com/2012/04/metal-friday-falling-off-edge-of-world.html. While I love Ozzy fronted Sabbath (who doesn't?), I think they achieved new heights with Dio.

Andy said...

Sabbath was a more consistent group than many Ozzy-only fans want to admit. The Dio albums are great (I count The Devil You Know with them, too), the Ian Gillan album has some good songs, and the Tony Martin albums are pretty good, too.

Brian Murphy said...

Andy: Agreed.