Friday, April 29, 2022

My top 5 Frank Frazetta paintings

Frank Frazetta is to the art of sword-and-sorcery what Robert E. Howard is to its soul. He’s the visual OG. Not the first S&S artist, but the one who captured its essence better than anyone before or since, likely ever. Pair him up with REH and it’s no wonder we had the Lancer Conan Saga boom of the 1960s.

I have a framed print of The Apparition (1969), cover art for the John Jakes novel Brak the Barbarian Versus the Sorceress, hanging up in my man-cave. I found it in an old comics store back in the 80s. It’s a bit faded but has lost none of its power. It’s a great painting but not one of my all-time favorite Frazettas, an indication of just how much awesome work he did over the course of his more than 60-year professional career.

Inspired by a recent interview with Schuyler Hernstrom in which the author of The Eye of Sounnu was sitting in front of one my favorite Frazetta paintings, I figured it was time for a top 5 list. Here they are, in no particular order.



Against the Gods (1967)

Against the Gods was the cover image for the Lin Carter paperback Thongor Against the Gods. What makes this one stand out is its stunning composition, the feeling you get of up—above the flight of an eagle, above the highest peak, this promethean figure, arms upraised, catching lightning from the heavens. It’s a moving depiction of achievement, man at his utmost heights channeling the elemental forces of nature.




The Barbarian (1966)

Again, the composition—that triangle of corpses, the curvaceous female grasping a thigh, culminating in Conan himself at the top of the pyramid, rugged arm and hand downthrust on the pommel of a gory sword. It’s the barbarian, triumphant, and the iconic depiction of Howard’s most famous creation. I also love the stylized background imagery, the skulls and lonely castle, which add an air of pulpy weirdness to the iconic tableaux.




Chained (1967)

This image from Conan the Usurper inspired me as a kid to get in the weight room. I love the rippling, deep muscles of Conan’s back, striving against chains. Bridled but soon to be unbridled power, as you know he’s going to burst his bonds before that snake can strike. By the way that huge snake, between his legs, make of it what you will. The lighting in this one is particularly effective, illuminating some touches in a creepy dungeon and the skeletal remains of previous victims.



Conan Man-Ape (1967)

This one to me has always felt like a camera capture of figures in motion, the swirl of combat of Rogues in the House. Add in the startling color contrasts—a dark background set against the brilliant red of Thak’s cape, Conan’s white eyes and teeth set and flashing, as that wicked poniard is poised to strike—it all adds up to stunning. A primal image of conflict, man vs. (man-like) beast.



Death Dealer II (1987)

I know the original mounted Death Dealer is the more iconic image, used by Molly Hatchet as the cover of their self-titled debut album, but I prefer Death Dealer II. The upraised axe, Gath of Baal’s downturned menacing red eyes, ready to deal an irresistible blow. That horned helmet is so cool. The pillar of smoke, and the wonderful lighting illuminating the tangled ghoulish creatures below, make this one scream sword-and-sorcery.

A couple honorable mentions: 1972’s Silver Warrior (come on, a chariot pulled by polar bears?) and Kane on the Golden Sea (1978), my favorite image of KEW’s iconic character, although Bloodstone is close.

What are yours?





9 comments:

Derek said...

Well, I still have Barbarian and Indomitable framed on the wall in my office. Both were bought as posters from Spencers back in the early 80s. I also used to have a 2000 piece puzzle of Silver Warrior. It was a bitch to put together, but I wish I still had it. :)

John said...

Hard to argue with your picks. The Thongor and Conan covers are among my favorites. My favorite, though, is "Golden Girl". I have a signed print that I purchased from Russ Cochran back in 1978. It's a beaut.

Brian Murphy said...

Wow, awesome Derek! I've got a puzzle scene from the Hobbit (an old painting) that I"m debating getting glued and mounted and framed. Seems like a lot of work.

John: Golden Girl... had to google that and it was worth it. Wow.

JB said...

Lot of good ones to choose from...too many, probably.

Death Dealer II is definitely my favorite of the DD series...and probably of all Frazetta's work. I like his dynamic pieces. "The Eternal Champion" is pretty good, as is "The Huntress." I have a soft spot in my heart for the Conan of Cimmeria cover (with the frost giants)...really like how he captured the scene in the snow.

Brian Murphy said...

Thanks JB... yeah the Conan of Cimmeria cover rocks. I think the snow makes it.

Andy said...

It's hard to go wrong with any of them, but I'm quite partial to his Barsoom paintings. Also, maybe in the minority, but I really like his Tolkien-based art. So much Tolkien-inspired art takes the obvious route of looking more courtly and dignified that Frazetta's more muscular and sensuous style puts an interesting spin on the classic scenes.

I've been looking over a lot of fantasy art lately and I have to say that although there are plenty of wonderful artists out there, Frazetta's use of color is unparalleled.

Narmer said...

I've always like "The Barbarian" but my favorite is "Sacrifice". The raw, muscular fury that it captures is incredible. You know, KNOW that the priest has a split second to live before Conan snaps his neck like a rotten tree branch. A friend bough me a framed print of it. It's great.

Derek said...

Brian - I still have my very beat up and much read set of the Ace series of 12 books. Most of the covers hit the poster section at Spencers. The puzzle took forever, but was worth it. I remember a few more of Frazetta's paintings became puzzles, but after that one, I was done with puzzles for a long while.

Good memories though.

Brian Murphy said...

"Sacrifice" is pretty awesome. I do love the lady on the altar, just beautifully rendered.