Sunday, June 19, 2022

A lucky man this Father's Day

The Murphy Clan.

These tasted as good as they look.

My old man is 78 years old and not in the best of health, but today he was doing OK and so I got to spend a few hours with him on Father's Day.

We drank a couple beers in the driveway and ate some pretty good ribs I spent the day smoking. It was overcast and cool, perfect weather to sit outside and shoot the shit.

One story I don't believe I ever relayed here: When I was a boy my dad read to my brother and I Jack London's "The Call of the Wild." We were very young, I was no more than 7 or 8. It's probably unheard of these days to read something that old and raw and primitive and violent to children, but I loved every page of it, and am quite certain it fueled my love of the fantastic. 

The t-shirt I'm wearing in this picture above was purchased in Ireland in 2007, during a trip I got to take with my old man. Ireland has a Murphy's Pub? Who knew. 

Thanks for everything Dad. Happy Father's Day dude. Love you.

4 comments:

Matthew said...

Funny, my Dad also read me Call of the Wild when I was around seven. It is raw, but I also loved it.

Brian Murphy said...

Very cool Matthew. It's a great, great book, and the influence on REH is plain.

Andrew A said...

Wow, I've actually been to that pub in Dingle. One of my favorite places in the world I've been (Dingle, not the pub, although the pub was great too).

Brian Murphy said...

:) Small world. Dingle is pretty cool. I'm pretty certain Murphy's Pub had a live band playing Irish tunes with the authentic instruments (fiddle, tin whistle, among others) while we were there. I couldn't leave without buying the t-shirt. My old man got one too, but it's not shown here.