Tuesday, May 2, 2023

My Howard Days 2023 haul

Somewhere under here is a bar...

Many amusing escapades and scrapes unfolded during Howard Days 2023, not the least of which was my complete and utter lack of restraint around anything vaguely book shaped. I was like a Grateful Dead fan in a pot shop or a PETA member in a rescue shelter, unhinged and helpless, grasping and wanting everything at once.

Someone should have taken my wallet from me.

I came home with 20 “books.” In my defense 9 of these were free, 11 were purchases. But the count is actually higher.

Two of those “books” were bundles of Fantastic magazine won in the silent auction, basically the entire run of issues published in 1961 and 1962. So that is technically an additional 23 digest sized "books" (May 1963 is missing). I also purchased a calendar. So technically I came home with 41 separate items, loosely classified as books. 

And a Robert E. Howard Museum t-shirt. With Conan on it, of course. Not pictured.

I think I need help.

Worse, I packed lightly with just a carry-on suitcase and a separate carry-on leather bag. The latter is something resembling a leather briefcase, with some extra pouches on the side. I was warned to bring an oversized suitcase for the spoils and promptly ignored those warnings. 

Come Sunday I found myself in deep shit. After carefully packing up all my books first (of course! they're the most important items) I was nearly full and hadn’t touched my clothes yet. That left me shoving items for which no room remained into every conceivable pocket. I wound up stuffing dirty underwear into my computer bag to make room. 

Not proud of this, just stating the facts.

Anyway, somehow I made it home with a 60 pound carry on that was a beast to lug, even with wheels, and threatened to burst its zippers. I'm a pretty strong dude but I felt like Vasily Alexseyev on a max clean and jerk getting that thing into the overhead bin.

Following is a complete list of my gross take:

  • The Collected Poetry of Robert E. Howard, vol. 1
  • The Collected Letters of Robert E. Howard, vol. 3
  • Thick as Thieves, Ken Lizzi
  • Cross Plains Pilgrimage, Bobby Derie
  • The Robert E. Howard Trivia Book, Bobby Derie
  • Hither Came Conan, Jason Waltz (editor)
  • Scott Oden Presents The Lost Empire of Sol, Rogue Blades Foundation
  • Death Dealer 3, Tooth and Claw, James Silke
  • Chacal #2
  • The Dark Man Journal vol. 13.1
  • Stan Lee Presents Conan the Barbarian #1 (paperback collection of first 3 comics)
  • The Filming of Conan, Cinefantastique Special Double Issue
  • Skelos #4
  • REHUPA Oct. 2012 (no. 237)
  • From the Heart of Darkness, David Drake
  • 2018 Investigations of the Robert E. Howard House Cellar, Jeff Shanks et. al
  • Kagen the Damned, Jonathan Maberry
  • Ken Kelly’s Robert E. Howard Heroic Fantasy Calendar, 1979
  • Fantastic 1961 bundle
  • Fantastic 1962 bundle

Good thing my wife doesn’t read the blog.

4 comments:

Michael said...

Awesome haul!

I'm having fun zooming in to drool over all the goodies on bookshelves in the background :)

Anonymous said...

I was reading this post at breakfast and laughing out loud. My wife asked what I was reading and I told her. So, I ended up reading it to her. You had us both cracking up over your dilemma. Great stuff!
Will

Brian Murphy said...

:) I amused myself with my utter lack of restraint. It was pretty funny.

John said...

A pretty good haul there. The Death Dealer series books are entertaining and the Cinefantastique issue is packed with lots of good info. Both Conan and Conan the Destroyer are streaming on Netflix right now.