Monday, February 12, 2024

A few updates and a space Viking

My friend Tom Barber bought a machine that transfers 35mm slides onto his computer, allowing him to convert his artwork to a digital format.
“Kind of like going up in the attic on a rainy day and rummaging through old memories,” he described the project. Tom sent me a really cool pic of a Viking in space done when he was first trying to break into the field in the 70s. This is the first time I’ve seen this one. Here’s what he had to say about it:

I don’t remember where I got the idea for the space-Viking, but after I ran away to Arizona, my agent (without telling me) got it on a cover. And for some reason, they decided to reproduce it in black & white. Lost its punch. Ah well…

I will not be going to Karl Edward Wagner Day. It’s for the best of reasons, attending a Parents Weekend at my daughter’s college which happens to fall on the same day. But it doesn’t change the fact that I’m really bummed about this. I mean, it’s KEW fans hanging out in a beer garden. I had hoped to participate on a Kane panel. 

The heavy metal memoir continues apace. I believe I have come to a natural stopping point of the first draft, and feel good about what I’ve written. We’ll see what happens when I read it in the clear light of day. Next will come a heavy revision, making sure it tells a coherent story.

Finally here’s one more Tom sent me, I have seen this one but here’s a full, uncropped version.



4 comments:

Matthew said...

H. Beam Piper wrote a novel called Space Viking. I've never read it.

BrianC said...

While I *love* King of the Wood, I am ashamed to say that is the only KEW I have read. Any suggestions on where I should start to rectify that?

Brian Murphy said...

BrianC: It depends on what you're after. KEW wrote horror, and I'd recommend In a Lonely Place (which was just reprinted, available here: https://www.valancourtbooks.com/in-a-lonely-place-1983.html

If you're looking to explore his Kane stories, I wrote an article on where to start, here: https://goodman-games.com/tftms/2020/12/08/where-to-start-with-karl-edward-wagners-kane/

Matthew: I haven't read any Piper, but hopefully the book had space longships sacking monasteries on moons?

BrianC said...

Excellent, thanks so much for providing those links.