Saturday, March 23, 2024

One of those mind-blowing I'm old/time is short/all a matter of perspective/WTF type posts

The first time I saw Black Sabbath live was on the Ozzfest tour, Mansfield MA, June 1997.

27 years ago.

Black Sabbath released its debut album, the self-titled Black Sabbath, in 1970.

27 years prior to Ozzfest.

That means, Sabbath had the same distance from its earliest days playing clubs in Birmingham to that warm June night in 1997 as I do, right now. 

Ozzy was 49 years old then, a year younger than I am now.

Kind of mind blowing.

What made me just think of this bit of ephemera, other than it came to me in the shower and compelled me to fire off an inconsequential blog post? What does it matter?

Don't ask me, I don't know.

7 comments:

Matthew said...

Time flies way too quickly

Anonymous said...

It gets better. After about 58, so long as you're healthy, you don't much care any more about how old you are. Research says most healthy over-65s are blissful and having a great time. :-) Just beware of turning into an old grump who is fixated on one hobbyhorse grouch, though. Some do.

Neutral Good Books said...

Yeah, I do love those kind of 'moments of perspective', which seem to be happening more and more often for me.
That, or I'm paying more attention to them...probably a mid-50's thing.

Still, there's something compelling about that 27 year spread you noticed.

Paul R. McNamee said...

Yeah. This hits me a lot lately. Maybe it's a "in your 50s" thing. I dunno.

I think the pandemic gave us all a 'bonus' warp, too. Those 2 & 1/2 - 3 years all seem like the same year. So, when some says it was four years ago, I feel like it was last year or two years ago, at the most.

Brian Murphy said...

Thanks for confirming the 50-something malaise, all :)

I actually am in a very good place, my biggest concern is avoiding becoming (as anonymous said above) an old grump. When I catch myself complaining I stop and try to see the good.

John said...

I was lucky enough to endure the weekend at Cal Jam 1974 and saw them there. They trotted out a couple of songs from Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath released the year before as well as songs from Master of Reality and their first album (yes, that's what we called them!). They kicked ass. Among other acts were Deep Purple with David Coverdale fronting them, The Eagles and ELP. Fortunately, there are numerous videos and recordings from the weekend to relive the memories -- which are slowly fading with time.

Brian Murphy said...

John: Damn, you saw Sabbath in '74? Hold on to that one man. Awesome.