Friday, July 26, 2024

Orion, Metallica

My metal summer continues, and so Metal Friday continues, with Metallica. 

"Orion" oozes nostalgia and loss, which I'm possibly projecting knowing that its architect Cliff Burton died just six months after its release. It feels like a dirge--and it very much is. The song was played over speakers during Burton's funeral, and James Hetfield had notes from the song's bridge tattooed on his left arm. 

Incredible. 

38 years after its release "Orion" remains a beautiful piece of work, haunting and atmospheric and utterly unique. The break at the four minute mark, broken when Cliff comes back in alone with his bass, is perhaps the high water mark on a magnificent album.

I can't even tell you how many times I listened to "Orion" in high school, driving around aimlessly with Master of Puppets in my car stereo. I relish those days.

I'm hoping I might hear it when I see Metallica next Friday at Gillette Stadium. Highly unlikely as Metallica almost never plays it live, likely out of respect for their late bassist. We'll see.





6 comments:

Ian said...

This brings back memories of when I used to play bass guitar. Though I ultimately decided I preferred listening to music over playing it, Cliff Burton was one of my biggest inspirations during that foray, along with Steve Harris and Geezer Butler. If nothing else, my experience greatly increased my admiration for those who play this underappreciated but vital instrument. RIP Cliff. May your musical legacy endure.

Matthew said...

I always thought this piece has a lot of Bach influence. Yes, that Bach. Well a lot of people know Burton was a big classical guy so it probably isn't surprising.

Brian Murphy said...

Ian: Pick that bass back up brother.

Matthew: I can see that. And yes, heavy classical influence.

Ian said...

Brian: I have been considering picking it back up. It's just a matter of time and money. I'm starting a new job soon and will be very busy, plus I'll need to save up for a new bass and amp. But I might still do it, if for nothing else than nostalgia.

Anonymous said...

Happening right now! So it shall be done.

Brian Murphy said...

Anonymous: Yes they did! Wasn't expecting that, very pleasant surprise.