Sunday, June 28, 2020

News and notes

Some interesting happenings and ramblings...

Another podcast appearance. This coming Sunday, July 5, I'll be recording an episode of the Appendix N Book Club Podcast. The topic of the show is the Andrew J. Offutt-edited Swords Against Darkness (vol. 1). This follows hard on the heels of my appearance on the Literary Wonder & Adventure podcast. Apparently if you want to get on a show, the best way to do it is to write a book. I am a subscriber and fan of the Appendix N podcast, which as its name indicates is about the literary inspirations for Dungeons and Dragons. I'm re-reading Swords Against Darkness for the occasion and am finding it as awesome as the last time I read it, at least through the first two stories. Not that I needed a reminder but Poul Anderson's "The Tale of Hauk" is one of the better sword-and-sorcery tales ever written. And the incomplete REH tale "Nekht Semerkeht," finished by Offutt, was better than I remembered.

A worthwhile post about fantasy art over on Black Gate. Head on over to read Robert Zoltan's "The Importance of Good Fantasy Art." This is a nice piece, well-written, and with lots of great accompanying art that aptly demonstrates Zoltan's thesis. I know I've picked up more than one sword-and-sorcery/pulp fantasy paperback based on cover art alone. Zoltan stirs things up a bit by referencing the age-old debate about why Robert E. Howard's paperbacks sold so well in the 1960s: Was it Howard's meteoric writing talent, or Frank Frazetta's genius? Or both?

Speaking of Flame and Crimson, I recently received a couple of very nice five-star reviews, one each on Amazon and Goodreads. I loved this bit from the Amazon review, which speaks well of my writing style, but perhaps not so much of skill as a researcher: He is not an academic so we are spared the typical turgid prose that comes from University presses. Highly recommended. The Goodreads review contains my favorite blurb to date: I enjoyed, very much, the chapter on the influence of S&S on Heavy Metal music. If Mr Murphy wrote another book about that subject, I would pre-order it! I'm thrilled, beyond belief, that this book seems to be well-received, and that I've been able to provide folks with some entertaining reading hours. If you read and enjoyed Flame and Crimson but have not yet left a review on Amazon or elsewhere, please do take a moment to do so. Apparently more reviews helps with search rankings and the likes, and they bring a smile to my face.

This podcast thing is going to happen (eventually). I don't have a start date in mind, or a title, and still I need to figure out how I'm going to pull it off from a platform/technical perspective. But besides those not-inconsiderable obstacles, I'm going to give this podcast hosting-thing a try.

I loaned a friend of mine, age 49, the first two Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser paperbacks. Despite having read no sword-and-sorcery in his lifetime and having no real interest in the subject this guy actually plowed through Flame and Crimson, merely because he's a good friend of mine and wanted to be able to talk and ask questions about this project that consumed most of my free time over the past 5 years. The section on Leiber interested him enough to prompt him to ask me if he could borrow my old copies, so I loaned him Swords and Deviltry and Swords Against Death. I post this here not to brag, nor (just) as a reminder that he has them on loan, but to note that I am very curious to see how someone approaching F&GM and sword-and-sorcery for the first time, later in life, enjoys the stories. I almost pushed him away from Leiber and in the direction of Howard and the likes of "The Tower of the Elephant" but opted not to. I'll report back here with his impressions once I get some feedback.

5 comments:

Matthew said...

I read Leiber before I read Howard and it made me a sword and sorcery fan.

Peter said...

Hi - I left the "Geographer" review at Amazon. Just to be clear, I did think Brian's book was very well researched. Brian seems to have read every sword & sorcery book and short story, saw every S&S TV show and movie, listened to a significant amount of S&S inspired music and played every S&S game. Brian took all this information and created an excellent survey of the genre. It is not my favorite type of sf/fantasy, but I have already flagged a few more writers to look at. His enthusiasm for the genre is infectious, but still critical. The only other "non-academic" book like this about genre fiction is Ed Hulse's "Blood N' Thunder Guide to Pulp Fiction." I would rank Brian's book up there with Ed's general history of the Pulps.
http://www.muraniapress.com/book/the-blood-n-thunder-guide-to-pulp-fiction/

Brian Murphy said...

Hi Peter, thanks for stopping by! I had no idea you followed The Silver Key blog.

My sense of humor tends to lean towards self-deprecation. I actually deeply appreciated your Amazon review and didn't actually think it maligned my research abilities :)

Believe it or not I have not read every S&S story, and among the holes I possess is Hulse's guide. Your blurb has convinced me to pick it up. Thank you!

Matthew: Good to know. I do believe Leiber is a good entry point into the genre, I'm sure I was overthinking this one.

Matthew said...

Leiber is a good entry point. The first I read of him was Ill Met in Lankhmar. That said I've found Leiber extremely inconsistent. I did not like The Snow Women as much as you did. I did find all the stories in Swords Against Death good. So if does not like The Snow Woman or The Unholy Grail tell him to keep reading.

Brian Murphy said...

Yeah, that's the main reason why I also loaned him Swords Against Death--I told him to at least give "Bazaar of the Bizarre" or "Thieves' House" a try, even if he didn't like the first couple stories.