Wednesday, June 17, 2020

To podcast, or not to podcast?

I'm giving some serious thought to starting up a podcast. I think the world could use a regular show on my favorite subgenre of fantasy--sword-and-sorcery--its practitioners, and the weirdness that surrounds it.

However, I have some reservations. One is time. Another is whether anyone would listen. The third and largest is that I don't think I'm a particularly interesting person or a compelling speaker. My forte' is the written word. I'm a middle-age dad and way, way out of touch with current popular culture. I don't watch TV and the last time I may have been vaguely cool was 1992.

That said, I'm slowly formulating a plan for an interview-style show, where I would host various authors, designers, artists, and personalities to talk about themselves and their work. I think I would focus on S&S/heroic fantasy, but stray into horror, heavy metal, movies, possibly comics.

I'd love to get some input on this, yay or nay. If someone has run a podcast and could offer any encouraging words of wisdom, pitfalls to avoid, run screaming in the other direction-type advice, etc., that would be particularly helpful. Hit me up here or over e-mail.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

As another middle-age (okay, late middle-age) father, now grandfather, I too am a fan of s&s and way out of touch with modern popular culture - I disconnected my cable in 1998. I read mostly old pulp authors, watch old television (anything before 1963), and listen to Old Time Radio. In other words, we share a love of similar things and share similar views, and that is why your podcast would be successful. People gravitate to people that are like them. I listen to a podcast called The Mysterious Old Time Radio Listening Society Podcast. They often mention how surprised they are at how many people listen to their podcast. They never knew so many people shared their interest. I think you would be surprised too if you go forward with the your podcast. I would say the only reason to consider not doing it is time away from the family--family comes first. If you can do it without taking that much time away from them, then go for it. I'll listen!
-Will

Matthew said...

I'd listen too it.

Brian Murphy said...

Thanks for the support, gents. I now have two dedicated listeners, and my wife makes three.

Will--I'll have to check out The Mysterious Old Time Radio Listening Society Podcast. Sounds interesting!

Anonymous said...

Do it!

jason said...

I'd listen.

JamesK said...

Go for it !
I will definitely tune in. I'm about 50 episodes in to the Appendix N Book Club and would love another S&S tinged podcast.
BTW, I really enjoyed reading your history of S&S.

Brian Murphy said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement Jason and James K!

Hi James, if you haven't already, would you mind giving Flame and Crimson a star rating (and if you're up for it, a brief couple sentence review) over at Amazon or Goodreads? If you have already, my thanks.