Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Kothar!

 

By Dwalka! This was a fortune to make a man mad.
Gardner Fox is far and away my favorite pastiche author. I love his Kothar and Kyrik books as just plain fun, straight up S&S entertainment, and his two volume Llarn series (Warrior of Llarn, Thief of Llarn) are wonderful examples of sword-and-planet. He won't make you forget Robert E. Howard, but Fox delivers fun, semi tongue-in-cheek adventure.

At right is the complete Kothar series. Below is a period advertisement from Kothar and the Wizard Slayer. It's so cool I think I'll take up smoking.

Smoke up Johnny.


2 comments:

Narmer said...

I have a Kothar book or two digitally. I'll have finally give them a try.

Brian Murphy said...

It's well done pastiche S&S. Kothar is a dumbed-down Conan, but the monsters and personalities he encounters are fun and the plots move. Fox doesn't bore.