Monday, January 18, 2021

Swords Against Darkness: Heyday of sword-and-sorcery

.My favorite cover goes to vol 4, I'm digging the mounted barbarian and skulls. On the back is a wicked wyrm.





 

Today's entry is the Andrew Offutt-edited Swords Against Darkness, a series of five anthologies published between 1977-79. This was still the heyday of sword-and-sorcery, as the subgenre was attracting names like Ramsey Campbell, Brian Lumley, Charles De Lint, and Orson Scott Card, the latter fresh off a John W. Campbell award for Best New Writer. All were published in the pages of Swords Against Darkness, along with many other fine authors. These were all new stories Offutt bought for the anthologies (and/or finished, in the case of the Robert E. Howard story "Nekht Semerkhet,") attesting to the health of sword-and-sorcery during this time period.

A lot of variety, much darkness and horror, and some fun introductions penned by Offutt. Five excellent volumes and I wish there were more.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having recently reread the Swords of Darkness series, I really found myself enjoying Richard Tierney's Simon of Gitta stories. When I finished, I went to hunt down his other yarns on that character to no avail. They were either unavailable or far too expensive to purchase. That all changed last month - Tierney released the collected stories of Simon of Gitta called Sorcery Against Caesar. I am reading it right now. Good stuff.

Paul R. McNamee said...

Whoa! I had no idea Tierney had done that!! Thanks!

Brian Murphy said...

Thanks for reminding me: I need to pick up Sorcery Against Caesar.