Saturday, July 16, 2022

Master of Puppets

Metal Friday comes a day late, as I'm checking back in after a four-day business trip to Houston TX.

This week highlights an old favorite from 1986, Metallica's "Master of Puppets," off the album of the same name.

Any fans of Rick Beato out there? Beato is a musician with an informative, engaging Youtube channel where he breaks down/recreates some of the great classic rock songs, with occasional forays into metal and grunge and other related genres. Here he offers an analysis of the construction of MOP in typical nerdy but fun Beato style; worth the watch:


Master of Puppets was recently given new life due to its appearance in the final episode of season 4 of Stranger Things, which gave it a massive boost and moved it to the top of Spotify downloads and the like. Hey, if this is what it takes to get Gen Y into metal, bring it on. You'd think I be a fan of the show with the obvious crossover appeal (1980s, D&D, general fantastic subject material) but have yet to watch an episode. My older daughter Hannah, a raging fan, is ready to kill me and I owe it to her to watch it. 

I think I'll take her up on it, but only if we can take the journey together. I doubt she'd take much convincing.

Full song; this thing rips as much as it did in 1986. Immortal. RIP Cliff Burton:








5 comments:

Paul R. McNamee said...

Brian,

I literally caved and subscribed to NetFlix last week. The hype about Stranger Things season four finally broke me down.

We have already binged through season one and we'll wrap up season two this weekend.

(I am trying to get through it all before NECON [writers conference] next week, so that for once I have something current I can speak too)

Yes, watch it. Great stuff.

Also a Rick Beato fan. I can't keep up with half his "quick shorts," but I have definitely gleaned guitar tricks from him. You can always teach an old rock dog new tricks, if they're willing to learn - and I always am.

jason said...

Yeah, it's great to see such superb album get a push. The series is good--I know it's hyped a lot, but we've found it entertaining, and contrary to some folks' opinions, it's not just nostalgia.

Matthew said...

My pastor once used lyrics from the song as teaching points for a sermon.

No really!

Andy said...

Season 1 - really good.
Season 2 - not as good, but still entertaining enough.
Season 3 - not as good as season 2, some good aspects but some silly/stupid stuff, too.
Season 4 - I haven't watched it yet but everyone is saying it's a return to season 1 form. I'll have to check it out soon.

Brian Murphy said...

Thanks for all the input dudes... I'm going in on Stranger Things, with Hannah. Will offer up my thoughts here.

Paul: I don't play guitar but Beato makes me want to take it up.