Friday, September 23, 2022

Headless Cross, Black Sabbath

I love discovering old shit that I missed in my indifferent, misguided youth. Yet another example: Headless Cross, Black Sabbath's 14 studio album.

Released at the tail end of the glorious 80s (1989), this was Sabbath's second album with singer Tony Martin... and so I had no interest at the time. I was too wrapped up in Metallica, Maiden, Priest, Anthrax, Megadeth, et. al, a story I relayed a bit during a recent appraisal of Nativity in Black for Metal Friday. I had abandoned Sabbath after the Dio years, and so this album came and sank beneath the waves without my notice or credit.

Credit YouTube's algorithms for recently recommending me this video, during a day when I was getting some housework done and only idly listening. When "Headless Cross" began I quickly snapped out of my torpor and realized, this is pretty damned good. "Devil and Daughter" cemented my opinion. 

This led me to another revelation.

Tony Iommi is Black Sabbath.

Not Ozzy Osbourne.

Not (RIP) Ronnie James Dio.

It's Tony Iommi, hands down, and if you think otherwise, you're wrong. His guitar tone, and songwriting, are what unites all these albums and disparate singers and makes just about every Sabbath album worth listening to.

Headless Cross is more evidence.



4 comments:

Andy said...

Hell yeah. I can't help being irked that Black Sabbath went into the RnR Hall of Fame as only the original lineup when there's so much to the band's output beyond that era. The general portrayal of the band to the public these days reeks of Sharon and Ozzy trying to manipulate the band's history to their benefit (e.g., Iommi keeps talking about doing a box set on the post-Dio albums but it keeps on not happening I WONDER WHY???).

Brian Murphy said...

Agreed Andy... everything I have heard, and read, about Sharon Osbourne reeks of manipulation and general crassness. I still haven't forgiven her for her treatment of Maiden during the Ozzfest.

Dana said...

Looking at these, I honestly don't think I ever listened to any of these full albums, the non-RJD/Ozzy ones. Listening through them all today and feeling that I didn't miss anything. You picked the best of the bunch, though, Headless Cross doesn't do much for me personally but it's pretty good.

Brian Murphy said...

I do like the album and Martin's performance on it... unique yet also Dio-esque.