Friday, October 7, 2022

Blood Red Skies, Judas Priest

Can it really be I haven't put JP in the Metal Friday rotation since December of last year? Fixing that, stat.

Priest is on my mind a bit more these days because I'll be seeing the Metal Gods in just over a week's time. On Sunday Oct. 16 I'm heading into Boston with a friend of mine to see them at the MGM Music Hall at Fenway Park.

And get this, his 13-year-old son is coming too.

The kid LOVES Judas Priest, and was inspired to pick up a flying V guitar in large part due to their music. He's a damned good player.

This is his first ever concert. He just found out. How's that for a birthday present?

Today I'm going with Blood Red Skies. I can't believe I haven't featured this song yet.

Very, very bold claim coming--the studio version of Blood Red Skies MIGHT be Rob Halford's best vocal performance. Unfounded? Well, listen first, then decide. 1:15 on... yikes. 6:28--he surely shattered glass in the studio.

I don't think anyone else on the planet could sing this, like this. Halford's vocals are ethereal, transcendent, otherworldly on this one, which features lyrics straight out of the Terminator. 

Apocalypse--wow. 



6 comments:

Andy said...

When I saw them perform just after Firepower came out (great show), my wife and I were surprised at how diverse the audience was. Really healthy mix of young and old, men and women, people from seemingly all walks of life. We were talking with a black woman who came with her 16 year old daughter and they were raving about the show and how they were driving halfway across the country in a few weeks to see Metallica.

Ram It Down is an underrated album and very much shows that Painkiller wasn't just something that came out of nowhere. I think people don't give it enough credit because they were still seething over Turbo.

Deuce said...

"Can it really be I haven't put JP in the Metal Friday rotation since December of last year?"

Just burn your JP fan-card, Murphy. There's no penance possible for something like that.

"Ram It Down is an underrated album and very much shows that Painkiller wasn't just something that came out of nowhere. I think people don't give it enough credit because they were still seething over Turbo."

Quite right, Andy. In fact, I was just discussing that with a metal buddy the other day. TURBO generated, if not ill-will, then a sense of apathy in many Priest fans. By the time RID came out, a lot of us were more excited by Metallica and Megadeth etc. Momentum is very, very important in the music industry and JP lost some of that after TURBO.

Brian Murphy said...

Am I a bad person for actually preferring Turbo over Ram it Down? I do like both albums, even though I see their weaknesses. They each contain at least one stone-cold classic (Blood Red Skies obviously, but also Reckless/Turbo, IMO).

jason said...

I saw them back in 2014 (I think)--such a great show. I was pleasantly surprised when they did "Victim of Changes." And they blew the roof off the place with that one. For me, they're second only to Maiden.

Brian Murphy said...

Jason--I also saw them in 2014, a big year for me with JP as I got to meet three members of the band. A story I will tell here, some day. They alternate with Maiden as my favorite band, depending on the day of the week.

Dana said...

I'm definitely Turbo > Ram It Down, too, Murph. And it's not particularly close.