Friday, March 17, 2023

Iron Maiden, "Stranger in a Strange Land"

Iron Maiden is perhaps my favorite metal band of all time.

"Stranger in a Strange Land" is perhaps my favorite Iron Maiden song.

Which should make "Stranger" ... my favorite song of all time?

No, not ready to say that. That's not a clean equation. But it is an absolute gem, 10/10 on the metal richter scale.

I love everything about this song. Steve Harris' melodic bass intro. The atmospheric build up. Bruce's off-the-charts vocals. And then,  Adrian's guitar solo. IMO his best. It's divine, I'll leave it at that. See 3:18. And damn, the counterpoint bass. It takes you to another planet, as does the entire album. Because it is Somewhere in Time.

I'll admit my analysis of this tune lacks any objectivity. I burned through TWO Somewhere in Time tapes in high school, listening to them so many times in my boom box and my car stereo that they simply wore out, the reels squeaking so much I had to discard them.



2 comments:

John said...

Black Sabbath is on the top of my list and still remember buying their first record (vinyl, of course) at a Tower Records store in 1970. Also had the pleasure of seeing them at the first Cal Jam in 1974 along with Deep Purple and others. I have come to appreciate Iron Maiden since then and they are an explosive band.

Brian Murphy said...

You can't go wrong with Sabbath! A great band with Ozzy and again with Dio. Can't believe you saw them in 1974 with Deep Purple... that must have been epic.