Saturday, July 8, 2023

1979 Ken Kelly heroic fantasy calendar, month-by-month

Let's look inside, shall we? And return to an age undreamed of ....1979.
Among my prized finds at 2023 Howard Days was this bad boy. A 1979 Ken Kelly Robert E. Howard Heroic Fantasy Calendar. 

Although it came sealed I’ve been dying to open it. But only very lightly sealed, as I recently discovered, and definitely a reseal job. Which made opening it easy. I used a fine knife and cracked through some weak adhesive, leaving the envelope undamaged.

And the glory was revealed. Check out the pics below.

I’m not a collector. I like owning cool shit to display and read, and put my hands on. Life is about enjoying things. We can’t take it with us. The work of the late Kelly (1946-2022) was not meant to be kept under wraps and passed along from investor to investor.

This calendar is in fantastic shape, unmarked and unused and crisp. I’ll keep it that way and handle with the utmost care, but have no desire to keep it hermetically sealed and resell at profit. It’s now going to be displayed on my wall, as it should be.

And its practical applications are not over. In addition to full-color images of Howardian heroes of heroic proportions and the glorious contrasts of light and dark that highlight the best of Kelly’s work, the website www.whencanireusethiscalendar.com tells me that this calendar will be accurate again in 2029, so there’s that, too. I’ll plan to leave it up for at least the next six years until I can use it to plan my summer vacations.















And of course, a centerfold. 



5 comments:

John said...

Some fantastic work by Kelly there. I bought mine the year it was sold and have it buried somewhere.

Foggie23 said...

I think this ends up being a great version of a Kelly art book. This period of his work is my favorite and I wish more were collected.

Brian Murphy said...

John: Dig that out! It's a beautiful piece of work worth displaying.

Foggie23: I am not up on the Kelly estate but I don't see why we aren't seeing more of his work.

Dustin E. said...

November has been the wallpaper for my studio computer for the last couple years. Such a cool image. Nice find.

Brian Murphy said...

Cool Dustin... I've actually got that very month displayed on my actual wall right now!