Friday, January 12, 2024

Going Viking at DMR Books

No, not looting and plundering Dave Ritzlin's book hoard, but do have a new post up on his blog: A Deep Cut of Adventure: The Saga of Swain the Viking, Vol. 1: Swain’s Vengeance

This was a fun read with a lot of viking goodness and other badassery. While writing the review I took a worthwhile detour into the history of Adventure, the magazine in which the Swain stories first appeared back in the 1920s. Some interesting history to that long-running pulp. I recommend checking out the article linked at the bottom.

Skål!

3 comments:

Neutral Good Books said...

Nice post on DMR.
'Adventure' added to my 'Pulps to Look Into' list.
'Swain' added to my "To Order" list.

Your tight list of Viking reads is very much welcomed!
- 'Eric Brighteyes' H. Rider Haggar
- 'Styrbiorn the Strong' E.R. Eddison
This was a new one to me, very stoked to hear this was by Eddison.
- 'The Long Ships' Frans Bengtsson
- 'Hrolf Kraki’s Saga' Poul Anderson

Also, thanks for the links provided in your DMR post to Deuce’s 'Forefathers of Sword and Sorcery' work. Good stuff!
Great info and research by yourself and others can sometimes get ‘lost’ in the noise of the web, shout outs and links are always appreciated.
'Flame and Crimson' and 'The Silver Key' have really been invaluable resources for me these last few months.

Best and thank you!
Mike (NGB)

Ian said...

By sheer coincidence, I just bought a copy of Eric Brighteyes at my local used bookstore today. With any luck I’ll get around to reading it once I get through some of the other books I have hoarded. I did read The Long Ships a couple years back and I can honestly say it is now one of my favorite novels of all time. And now I’ve got another Viking book to check out!

Brian Murphy said...

Mike! Thank you for the wonderful comment, and for the kind words about Flame and Crimson and the blog. It means a lot. And yes, Deuce has done some terrific work with his "forefathers" series.

Ian: I loved the Long Ships, Eric Brighteyes is quite different, leans much more into romance and tragedy. It might be the best thing Haggard ever wrote, I like it more than She or King Solomon's Mines.