| The firemen are you. |
People ended books. Not top-down government authority.
People decided shallow entertainment was preferable to literature that challenges them to think and invokes discomfort. The Firemen who burn books—the splashy and memorable part of Ray Bradbury’s novel—aren’t one-dimensional monsters, they’re just men giving the people what they want.
Chilling.
What they think they want, anyway. Some resort to sleeping pills to silence the pain of existence. Some hold on to their books and are burned to husks.
Montag never asks to think if his life—which includes a well-paying job and a wife and all material needs met--makes him happy. Without poetry or color or depth or diversity of thought, it does not.
Bradbury wrote Fahrenheit 451 as radio dominated and television surged in popularity. He saw and grew fearful for the steady erosion of reading and book culture. In the late 1950s he recounted the following incident:
In writing the short novel Fahrenheit 451, I thought I was describing a world that might evolve in four or five decades. But only a few weeks ago, in Beverly Hills one night, a husband and wife passed me, walking their dog. I stood staring after them, absolutely stunned. The woman held in one hand a small cigarette-package-sized radio, its antenna quivering. From this sprang tiny copper wires which ended in a dainty cone plugged into her right ear. There she was, oblivious to man and dog, listening to far winds and whispers and soap-opera cries, sleep-walking, helped up and down curbs by a husband who might just as well not have been there. This was not fiction.
I can only imagine what Ray would have thought of the age of the smartphone and its endless short form video reels and doomscrolling and Twitter and AI.
We might lose to AI, and if we do people as much as big tech will be at fault. Because we settle for its comfortable babble, “create” with it instead of creating with our own skills and intuition and effort.
Fahrenheit 451 is also a stark warning against censorship in all its forms, including softer forms like “political correctness.” Interesting that Ballantine Books censored some of the “problematic” words from the text in a 1967 edition. Did anyone there read the book, I wonder?
If you’re a right-winger who wants to ban books with sex or depict a gay family in a positive light, you’re the person Ray Bradbury was warning against. If you’re a left-winger who condemns Lovecraft and Howard and Burroughs and labels any author who doesn’t check every diversity checkbox as “problematic,” you’re a person who needs to read this book. And do some rethinking.
Fahrenheit 451 might be old but it’s still a very sharp book. It can cut.
Great.
Reject machine culture. Reject TikTok. Read.
4 comments:
Wow the way her radio is synonymous with our phones, watches and other 'smart' devices today... Bradbury's point seems even more true..... -SM
Right? He was anticipating the smartphone.
Keep preaching, brother! I know all too well how distracting technology is. I love reading, but it can be difficult to overcome the inertia to actually open a book when more instant gratification is available. I'm working to overcome it, but it's a process.
I'm in the same boat Ian... I love to read but find it harder these days than it used to be due to digital distractions. It is infinitely more rewarding when I make the time to do so.
Post a Comment